Thursday, March 4, 2010

Step by step He leads me...

And I will follow Him all of the way.

That has never been my favorite song, but it fits where I'm at right now.

We are moving baby step by baby step on this journey called Cancer.

The Oncologist visit didn't happen on Monday because Dustin was sick.

That was a change. :-) It's nice to not always be the one who can't do something because I don't feel good.

Right now I am waiting on a call from my Doctor to hopefully recommend an Oncologist closer to home.

Long drives are getting old really fast.

However, I'm willing to drive if it means a better Doctor.

That being said, Chemo and Radiation will be our last option.

I'm not talking about last option as in ten years from now, I'm talking more like 3-6 months.

God has giving us the blessing of time.

My tumor isn't growing.

Since I have that blessing, I'm going to hold off on those toxic chemicals that make up Chemo for as long as I can.

I do understand that they kill cancer. I also understand that they kill a lot of the good stuff, too.

Please don't think we are making this decision lightly, at all. We aren't. We are well aware that Cancer is close to, if not the #1 killer in America. We know that what we are dealing with is serious. Much prayer and thought has gone into deciding to try other things first.

Back to the blessing of time.

Our first step was to get a consultation with a nutritionist.

I had thought about doing this for awhile, but had no idea where to start.

God knew I was clueless so decided to step in.

Jess mentioned that a mutual friend of ours wanted to tell me about a nutritionist who had helped her mother in a significant way with her Parkinson's, cutting her meds in half, but she didn't want to bother me with it if I wasn't open to hearing about it. I told her I would love too.

The next day I had this ladies number on my answering machine.

I looked up the website and shot off a quick e-mail detailing my problem and asking if she could help.

The following day the mother of one of my students called and said she wanted to share something that had helped her son. She has adopted kids who came from rough homes. Her last son was a drug baby. So sick they were in the Doctors office around 20 times in three months. He couldn't gain weight, nothing was helping, the Doctors were at a loss.

She heard about this Nutritionist.

Within a month the baby was putting on weight, within three months he was still catching what everyone else got and staying sick a little longer, but almost like a normal baby. By eighteen months he was better.

Guess who the nutritionist was? Yup, one and the same as the lady I had just e-mailed.

Never heard about her before in my life, then in the course of two days I had heard from two people in two different states that had no idea the other existed.

I was starting to see God working here.

Then.... my dad was reading an e-mail someone had sent him about a seminar a nutritionist was giving.

"Hey, Becca, was that nutritionist you wrote from WI?"

"Yeah."

"Was her name Karen Hurd?"

"Umm.... yeah, why?"

"I just got an e-mail about her."

At that point I told the Lord I had the picture loud and clear.

If the nutritionist thought she could help I would do what she said.

I had a phone consultation with her last Friday after I had filled out an extensive form about me.

Not only does she think she can help, but she thinks the tumor can shrink.

She works with Cancer patients all the time and has had a lot of success.

Will it shrink my tumor?

I have no idea.

But will it prepare my body to fight if I ever have to do Chemo?

That I can tell you with absolute certainty that it will.

Am I praying that I am one of her successes? Of course.

But maybe that isn't why God put her in my path. It may be just to prepare my body for things to come.

We will see, and that is why I am so grateful I have God, my family, and all of you to go on this journey with me.

Thank you for all your concern!

And don't worry, I'll tell you all about the diet in another post. It cracks me up!




4 comments:

Mindy said...

What a wonderful way the Lord leads! I am so thankful He answered your prayers about the nutritionist. You know, all doctors recommend cranberries to heal urinary tract infections - it can't be the only healing food! I am SO thankful your tumor isn't growing. I will continue to pray for answers and healing.

Anonymous said...

Heart Disease among other things is the number #1 killer in America. Just keepin' things positive... Funny that Cancer tries to steal the show. You better put it where it belongs. In.Remission. - Just sayin'

Yellow Daisy Momma said...

Agreed - Jess!

Rosanne said...

Geoff and I had three different people tell us all on the same day about a woman in our church whose son has the same condition as Jaylen... God? Yeah, I'm listening! :) I've heard diet can make a huge difference in cancer patients. Praying it helps you - one way or the other!