Saturday, February 6, 2010

Today I went to a funeral.
Josiah died of a rare form of cancer ten months from the day it was 
discovered.
He was 27.
His wife is 25
His kids are 3 1/2 and 1
There isn't much out there that could be considered more tragic.
And it was tragic to see Jess walk down behind the casket. 
She looked so small, so alone.
How would I feel if I were in her place?
Would I handle it with the same grace, strength, and trust that she has shown throughout these last ten months?
Would I be able to have said of me at the end of my life that I had kept the faith and finished strong? Even if it ended in intense pain and suffering like it did for Josiah?
More importantly, how am I handling what God is giving me now?
Am I remembering to bless God through the good times and the bad?
Josiah and Jess had their race especially planned out for them by God. 
Josiah finished his with flying colors.
Jessica is still running, and she is running well.
God has specially tailored my race for me. 
Nobody is perfect, we all stumble and fall.
But, what is my outlook overall? 
Am I remembering to keep my eyes on my Savior? 
When the pain is at it's worst, or my kids are a little rambunctious, do I thank God that He has saved me, prepared a better place for me?
Rejoice in the fact that "this world is not my home, I'm just a passing through." and that the body I have will one day have no more pain.
Now, I'm praying that "no more pain" is on this earth, yet, but even it it isn't, I need to have that joy.
A joy that only comes from keeping my eyes on Jesus and His purpose for my life.
Josiah planned his funeral and picked his songs. 
Since my singing results in coughing at the moment I was able to close my eyes and just listen.
That was a huge blessing to my heart.
I've sung "Blessed be Your Name" by Matt Redmond a million times, but never has it ministered to me so much.
I know writing out the words is a lot, but if you read them in the context of what I shared above you will get a inkling of why they are so amazing.
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful  
Where Your streams of abundance flow 
Blessed be Your name
  Blessed Be Your name When I'm found in the desert place 
Though I walk through the wilderness Blessed Be Your name  
Every blessing You pour out  I'll turn back to praise 
When the darkness closes in, Lord Still I will say  
Blessed be the name of the Lord Blessed be Your name Blessed be the name of the Lord 
Blessed be Your glorious name 
 Blessed be Your name 
When the sun's shining down on me 
When the world's 'all as it should be' Blessed be Your name  
Blessed be Your name On the road marked with suffering 
 Though there's pain in the offering  
Blessed be Your name  
Every blessing You pour out 
 I'll turn back to praise 
When the darkness closes in, Lord Still I will say  
Blessed be the name of the Lord 
Blessed be Your name 
Blessed be the name of the Lord
 Blessed be Your glorious name  
Blessed be the name of the Lord 
Blessed be Your name 
Blessed be the name of the Lord 
Blessed be Your glorious name  
You give and take away 
You give and take away 
My heart will choose to say Lord, blessed be Your name
Aren't they precious? I need to put those up where I can see them daily. 
Blessed be His name when things are going great and when they aren't exactly to our liking! 

1 comment:

Mindy said...

The saddest two lines to me -

He was 27.
His wife is 25.

The verbs don't match. I am so sad for her and her children. But, I choose to trust the Lord, because His ways are higher, High thoughts are higher.

May the Lord bring comfort to all.

I love you!