Thursday, November 18, 2010

Do you remember your first computer?

I must have been about ten when my dad brought our first family computer home.

It was a big, boxy and off white. The screen was black, and the lettering green. I don't think there were any other options, but I could be mistaken.

The only thing I used it for was an occasional game of.... you know, I don't remember the name. But it involved a joystick, and I thought it was amazing.

I don't think we actually used this computer much. We only had it because a close friend of my dads loved them and either gave us the used one or it was a great deal.

It wasn't until a computer or so later that we had educational games.

How things have changed.

The last few days I have been getting e-mails from Karis.

She came home last night and told me,

"Mom, the first thing I do with I get to Grandma's house is log on to the computer."

I didn't know what "log on" meant until my late teens.

Having to have passwords for everything was a blessed unknown in my life. Ah.... to have those days back.

She has mastered the mouse, and is learning to send e-mails.

"I love sending you e-mails, Mom."

"And I love getting them, Sweetie."

Here is the story I got yesterday.

I have a dog and a cat in the hat but . Let’s play with the cat and the dog then we will have fun by ourselves we will play ball and play in the back yard then we will play with our cat and the dog we will have fun in the sun then we will go into the house then I will have fun in the house when it rains then the sun will come out then we go back out in the sun won’t that be fun



After reading it I thought four things.

1. I'm going to have to teach this child to type.

2. Is there any hope for her generation to write legibly? What does a parent say these days?

"You may have to write an important letter to your boss."

"No, I'll just send him and e-mail."

"You have to learn to address a package."

"Mom, I'll just print out a label."

"What if you want to write love notes to your special someone?"

"I'll just text, twitter, or facebook him, mom."

Writing is going to be a challenge.

3. I'm proud of my little girl. She has come so far in a year. Last January my mom started her on the journey of reading. Now she is sending me e-mails with little stories she is creating.

4. Maybe by next year she will be able to show her mom how to do all the things she wants to do on the computer. :-)


One last thing, I slept great last night, and I'm feeling good today. Thanks for all the prayers!




No comments: