Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gratefulness unexpected

I answered our home phone tonight because the caller was unknown.

Usually that means Dustin.

It wasn't. It was Iowa State doing a survey of families in Iowa. (someone must have sent out a memo that today was a good day to survey me:-)

The call would take twenty minutes.

I inwardly groaned, but something made me not hang up, even though she said it was voluntary.

She wanted to ask questions about one of our girls.

Gabi - though she remained completely anonymous.

Do you have insurance for her?

What kind?

Have you ever not taken her to the Dr. because of lack of insurance.

Do you ever worry about your coverage?

Have you ever ran out of food and not been able to buy more?

Have you ever cut back on what you eat at meal time because there isn't enough?

How many servings of fruit do they get?

Veggies?

Does she have any mental or emotional issues?

Learning disabilities?

Is she the right weight?

Is your neighborhood safe?

Do you have neighbors you trust or could call on for help?



The further the conversation went, the more humbled I became. I have never, ever worried about taking them to the doctor because of lack of insurance. Nor had to make a choice between taking or not taking them.

If we run out of food it is because I haven't made it to the grocery store, not because we can't afford it.

My kids are healthy. They don't have the struggles some kids face.

We have wonderful neighbors.

I felt convicted by the things I think I need when I realized that I already have everything that is truly necessary - more than is truly necessary.

I ended the conversation by thanking her for making me realize how blessed we really are.

That is the first time that has ever happened with a survey for me. :-)

Night! Now I'm going to take advantage of my sleeping little ones and go to bed myself.


1 comment:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Wow...your survey turned out to me a good reminder for ME too...glad you shared that!