Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Whatever you do.

Last night that was what I thought about as I was falling asleep.

Whatever you do.

Whatever....

That word includes a whole lot of everything.

Dustin shared part of a Mark Driscroll sermon with me.

It was the whatever that stood out to me.

He said, "Even if you are sick, and tired, and have cancer. Even if all you can do is roll out of bed in the morning, if that is your whatever, do it for the glory of God."

Before, when I think of that verse, "Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God," I've never equated sickness with it.

I've thought of my job, or playing my violin, or serving others, or taking care of my kids, or loving my husband.

As with many things in my life, the whatever has changed.

What hasn't changed is the reality that no matter the state of your health, it's hard to do everything to the glory of God.

I would complain about my life before.

I often complain about my life now.

So, as I said, I was pondering whatever....

That means taking my endless supplements and treatments is a whatever.


Rolling out of bed - and yes, sometimes that is all I feel like doing is a whatever.

Forcing myself to exercise, even if it hurts my lungs? A whatever.

Using that blasted nebulizer? Do you know I always feel slightly guilty when I use that thing? I feel like I'm inhaling something illegal every time I suck in a breath of the smoky looking vapor. :-) If anyone is tempted to join me in my "illegal" activity, let me warn you, Cayenne pepper is in no way an addictive inhalant. :-) Anyway, yes, another whatever.

So, all of these whatevers in my life are supposed to bring God glory.

And God doesn't just make idle statements that can't be fulfilled.

If it wasn't possible, it wouldn't be written in the Bible.

Somehow what seems like a drudge in my life, a something that has put everything on hold can be what brings Him glory.

Thinking about it this way may just make rolling out of bed and starting my days living with the reality of what they have become just a little bit easier.



I wrote the above several days ago. It has been so hard to bring Him glory in the whatevers. I can tell this is going to be something I have to work on for the rest of my life. I suppose that is the whole point, eh? :-)

1 comment:

rachland said...

Very good perspective, Becca! Thanks for the reminder, even when our "whatevers" are mundane or despicable, to do them for His glory. He deserves glory from every part of us.
Still praying for you lots!